Victims of Military abductions surfaced due to Writ of Amparo
Full text of the writ of Amparo can be found here

Printed copies available, email rbahaguejr [at] gmail [dot] com

Monday, October 10, 2005

POSTGRESQL AND MYSQL

i'm posting a comparison of these two open source databases from the postgresql list. I'm a postgresql convert by the way. :-)

---------------------------------------------------------

Hi everyone,

I've just got back from LinuxWorld in London and seeing this thread thought
I would share my experience of the MySQL stand - if you are of a delicate
dispostion, please look away now. I basically asked them straight up why I
should use MySQL instead of PostgreSQL and was quite surprised by the
result, mainly since it was not done on features but more on FUD. The basic
message was this:

- MySQL is the most popular open source database, with over 6m
"enterprise" installs, with a large company supporting it. PostgreSQL is run by a very small community of developers.

- MySQL can be clustered (This was later retracted when I mentioned I needed something that would work on large tables, as apparently their clustering only works in RAM and so will fail on large queries and queries that use a lot of joins).

- All the companies that have tried to operate by selling PostgreSQL support services have gone bankrupt, except for EnterpriseDB.

- PostgreSQL doesn't have row level locking. And this last comment really took the biscuit - I really hope that the none of the core team read this and decide to throw in the towel:

"MySQL has the biggest collection of database experts... Open source people don't know how to write databases"

So all in all, to say I was upset by some of these comments was an understatement. To all the people I spoke to on the PostgreSQL stand, I hope I did it in a way that made them feel empowered to go and try the PostgreSQL for their own applications by mentioning its benefits, and not by spreading FUD about its competition.


Mark.

No comments: