Victims of Military abductions surfaced due to Writ of Amparo
Full text of the writ of Amparo can be found here

Printed copies available, email rbahaguejr [at] gmail [dot] com

Saturday, September 01, 2007

Upgrading Ubuntu Feisty to Ubuntu Gutsy

I experimented the upgrade process for Ubuntu on my Gateway laptop. Being a Debian user until now on servers, upgrades from stable to testing to sid are smooth process in Debian. I seldom experience glitches.

I wanted to find out if this will be a smooth process also for Ubuntu. I was running Debian on the Gateway laptop until May this year. When I installed Ubuntu during the national elections (to eliminate incompatibilities in the system we used for the quick count), I am yet to return to Debian.

To upgrade to Gutsy follow the following process. On your terminal issue the following command.

1. sudo apt-get update
2. sudo apt-get upgrade
3. gksudo "update-manager -d"

In Debian, you just have to change the /etc/apt/sources.list to the version you want to upgrade. The first two commands will be enough to have a smooth upgrade. The last command will launch the gui for the software upgrade. Just accept default answers by the updater. You will eventually see this figure.

1

The updater will now start.

7

After fetching some tools and scripts, start the upgrade on this window.
4

There will be several steps. But the gui updater will handle smoothly.
8

After a long download, installation will begin. It took me 2 early morning days to download all packages. I do have several apps in use.
3

I checked all apps and all are also working properly. Sound and video is not a problem.
6

A nice applet for the power management is also available. But no hibernate support yet. At least for my laptop. In Feisty, i was able to use hibernate for a few weeks and an upgrade broke everything. It is still broken now in Gutsy.

5

The best part though, compiz-fusion works well. The animations and desktop cubes are rendered smooth to the eye.

If you are brave enough, try gutsy now.

No comments: